I wanted to temporarily come out of reviewing retirement to comment on John Stagliano‘s take on the vampire movie, Voracious. Given that the scenes are labeled as “episode”s, perhaps I should say that the boxed set of dvds is his take on the vampire television show like True Blood and Vampire Diaries. These episodes were originally released on the Evil Angel website. I had read in a press release that Stagliano liked working with vampire lore because he could make up some of the rules about what vampires can and can not do. Overall, the storyline works, but you can sort of spot him mixing and matching themes from different movies and shows. I’m not going to give too many spoilers but if all you want is just a scene by scene breakdown of the movie, fu_q at ADT did a great job of it.
Brooklyn Lee plays a vampire who struggles to retain her humanity. She’s dead and not loving it so much. More like Angel than Blade. However, the food is just too tempting especially when it is in the form of the male lead, Manuel Ferrara, who is introduced to us similar to the way Jonathan Harker was introduced to us. You poor poor sap. The vampires have strict rules about what they can do with/to humans like in True Blood, even if they really wanted or deserve it. One of the common vampire themes that Stagliano explains is how exactly vampires glamour their victims. The victims either envisions the vampire’s desire to have sex or they see what’s going to happen anyway in a porno.
The sex is hard and intense throughout, and it’s no surprise given several of the selected actors. I had never watched a Brooklyn Lee scene before but she is energetic and convincingly plays a sexual vampire who make her victims constantly yearn for her. The other vampires seem to agree. Lea Lexis plays her buddy vampire who is more in line with the rules of her vampire clan (think the initial Selena from Underworld) yet is still sensitive to the struggles of her friend. Omar Galanti who could easily pass for Nosferatu, Sandra Romain, and Rocco play clan elders while Steve Holmes plays a priest like Caleb from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
The movie is visually stunning but not as colourful as Fashionistas given the Gothic theme. The scene lighting is mostly set dark with lots of shadows, somewhat washed out colours to emphasise the undead, and intentionally grainy video to give it a film feel. The music score fits to the mood and does not detract from the sex. There are the common vampire special effects involved but do not expect too much out of a porn budget.
BDSM is a dominant theme if you’re eager for all of that freaky shit. It’s dominant but not to the point where it detracts from the scene due to the intensity of the performers. As for the actual acting, Brooklyn plays her role well as the conflicted vampire and Lexis’s Romanian accent works. As for the non-essential female performers, it’s clear that the ability to read lines was not a priority for the roles of dead street hookers. With the guys, there’s always unintentional comedy when I watch Rocco, Steve, and Manu take on serious roles. It’s a combination of their accents and the fact that they are/seem such likable guys. It’s like watching a vampire Mentos commercial or a Right Said Fred video.
I made a quick stop in Chicago to visit Exxxotica this weekend. It was well attended show, especially on Friday and Saturday, and is much busier than my experiences with the Exxxoticas in Miami and Los Angeles. Again, the Ladies Free Friday promotion helped bring out the people after work. Girlfriends and wives were accompanying their men, and groups of women shopping were seen throughout the convention that day. Every porn star I talked to indicated that business was good and people were eagerly buying their merchandise.
The stage shows were stronger this year with Belladonna doing her aeriel silk show on the main stage this year and Stoya doing her aeriel ring show. Both performers have immensely improved from the previous year with their technique, strength, and tricks.
Click on Stoya for the photos on Flickr.
Some other notes:
- Gianna Michaels and Ron Jeremy were easily the most popular porn stars signing while Clips4Sale with Ashley Fires and Missy Rhodes had the most popular booth.
- Web model, Eva Lovia, won the Ms. Exxxotica Chicago contest, and she was easily the most striking new girl that I’ve seen. Imagine a taller Cris Taliana with boobs.
- Brooklyn Lee and Tasha Reign humoured me when I asked for a President Clinton shot. Probably because the request didn’t involve cigars.
- Brooklyn and Stoya also wrestled in a lube match sponsored by Fleshlight. Think oil wrestling.
- Teal Conrad and Raven Bay were both newbies who seemed happy to greet the fans. I had extensive conversations with them.
- Jesus may Love(s) Porn Stars,but apparently XXXChurch doesn’t love Buddhists. They visibly scowled at me when I explained that I would not accept their stickers because of my religion.
- Aleksa Nicole kept turning her face away when I asked and tried to take a photo. Not sure what was going on there. Maybe she was charging for photos of herself only.
Thanks to the folks at Digital Playground, I was able to visit a Selena Rose feature, directed by Robby D in April. Selena plays a drifter who crashes a house full of eager guys and jealous girlfriends. One thing about features compared to gonzo movies is that the shooting can take the entire day and night rather than 3-4 hours. You would have multiple takes of dialogue shot at multiple angles that I can only imagine what an editor is faced with when the shooting is finished. Robby and his crew were gracious hosts, but I couldn’t last into the night… (That’s what she said).
Selena Rose is a beautiful Cuban American from Miami. She’s done multiple features for DP so she’s used to the long hours. She’s quite flirty in person and normally I would be skeptical in dismissing it as something she puts on for the press. However, I’ve met her in the past in more casual situations when she didn’t know who I was to conclude the flirtiness is just part of her normal personality. Sex always seems to be on the mind with her and I was flattered by the attention she showered until Manuel Ferrara showed up. Heh.
I also met a newcomer named Alexis Monroe who was in her first week of the business. She is a sweet girl from Michigan who I had a conversation about rabbits with beyond “doing it like rabbits”. We got along fabulously until she laid eyes on Erik Everhard. He really likes blondes so I can’t begrudge this.
Finally I met Tristyn Kennedy, a lovely Southern belle from Tennessee by way of Dallas, Texas. She was the first person I interviewed who was more nervous than me. We talked a little about how she came into business with her roomie, Ashlynn Leigh. Speaking of, I had ran into Ashlynn the previous day at the Apple store because that’s how things roll in Porn Valley. I didn’t get to see Tristyn have nasty sex with James Deen because the scenes got backed up late into the night, and I needed my sleep.
Expect some interviews from this set visit.
I first met Porno Dan in Berlin in 2009 when he brought his Fuck a Fan over to Europe. Most of it was a blurred memory due to massive amount of alcohol we all imbibed. I’m not even sure if the Fuck a Fan scenes there were shot due to logistical problems, but my friend Malte and I had a standing offer to attend one of them in the States. Except, I wasn’t sure if he had invited us to visit or participate.
I finally made that set visit 3 weeks ago even though it was abrupt because I had to run off to shoot the XRCO Awards. The concept of Fuck a Fan is that you have 3 fans or wanna-be-pornstars who would engage in some silly contest which is also broadcasted online. The winner would get to fuck the feature girl which was Jenna Presley, while second place would get a blowjob, and third place would get a mere handjob. Jenna was assisted by fluffers, Jennifer White and Nikki Sexx. Porno Dan would be the MC of this contest, and I’m sure he got some perks from the girls on the side even though I didn’t stay long enough to watch the sex scenes. As he would say, “Everyone’s a winner on Fuck a Fan”. Well, everyone except for the staff who have to clean up the mess.
Some NSFW shots.
- Despite the years that have passed since seeing each other, Jenna recognised me as I walked right past her.
- First time I met Jennifer White, and she is very pretty in person. She was also accommodating with her nakedness.
- Porno Dan is all business before the shooting starts. Then it seems like a switch is turned on, and he becomes the silly host that you see on video or in person when drunk.
Speaking of the XRCOs, click on Asa for some photos from the awards:
- Spieglergirls were the big winners with Asa Akira, Jessie Andrews, Brooklyn Lee, and Bobbi Starr getting all of the major female performer awards.
- Cherie Deville was quite lovely as a trophy girl, but I didn’t get to meet the other trophy girl, Allie James.
- Taylor Russo kept showing me her vagina. Of course, that made me wonder about what her twin‘s vagina looked like. Too bad Flickr censors vaginas.
- The crowd was smaller than last year’s but they certainly stayed a lot longer. Even Tim Von Swine and his broken shoulder stayed for several Heinekens with me.
- I really like Vicky Vixen‘s boobs… and her vagina too. Again with the Flickr censorship thing.