Thanks to the folks at Digital Playground, I was able to visit a Selena Rose feature, directed by Robby D in April. Selena plays a drifter who crashes a house full of eager guys and jealous girlfriends. One thing about features compared to gonzo movies is that the shooting can take the entire day and night rather than 3-4 hours. You would have multiple takes of dialogue shot at multiple angles that I can only imagine what an editor is faced with when the shooting is finished. Robby and his crew were gracious hosts, but I couldn’t last into the night… (That’s what she said).
Selena Rose is a beautiful Cuban American from Miami. She’s done multiple features for DP so she’s used to the long hours. She’s quite flirty in person and normally I would be skeptical in dismissing it as something she puts on for the press. However, I’ve met her in the past in more casual situations when she didn’t know who I was to conclude the flirtiness is just part of her normal personality. Sex always seems to be on the mind with her and I was flattered by the attention she showered until Manuel Ferrara showed up. Heh.
I also met a newcomer named Alexis Monroe who was in her first week of the business. She is a sweet girl from Michigan who I had a conversation about rabbits with beyond “doing it like rabbits”. We got along fabulously until she laid eyes on Erik Everhard. He really likes blondes so I can’t begrudge this.
Finally I met Tristyn Kennedy, a lovely Southern belle from Tennessee by way of Dallas, Texas. She was the first person I interviewed who was more nervous than me. We talked a little about how she came into business with her roomie, Ashlynn Leigh. Speaking of, I had ran into Ashlynn the previous day at the Apple store because that’s how things roll in Porn Valley. I didn’t get to see Tristyn have nasty sex with James Deen because the scenes got backed up late into the night, and I needed my sleep.
Expect some interviews from this set visit.
I first met Porno Dan in Berlin in 2009 when he brought his Fuck a Fan over to Europe. Most of it was a blurred memory due to massive amount of alcohol we all imbibed. I’m not even sure if the Fuck a Fan scenes there were shot due to logistical problems, but my friend Malte and I had a standing offer to attend one of them in the States. Except, I wasn’t sure if he had invited us to visit or participate.
I finally made that set visit 3 weeks ago even though it was abrupt because I had to run off to shoot the XRCO Awards. The concept of Fuck a Fan is that you have 3 fans or wanna-be-pornstars who would engage in some silly contest which is also broadcasted online. The winner would get to fuck the feature girl which was Jenna Presley, while second place would get a blowjob, and third place would get a mere handjob. Jenna was assisted by fluffers, Jennifer White and Nikki Sexx. Porno Dan would be the MC of this contest, and I’m sure he got some perks from the girls on the side even though I didn’t stay long enough to watch the sex scenes. As he would say, “Everyone’s a winner on Fuck a Fan”. Well, everyone except for the staff who have to clean up the mess.
Some NSFW shots.
- Despite the years that have passed since seeing each other, Jenna recognised me as I walked right past her.
- First time I met Jennifer White, and she is very pretty in person. She was also accommodating with her nakedness.
- Porno Dan is all business before the shooting starts. Then it seems like a switch is turned on, and he becomes the silly host that you see on video or in person when drunk.
Speaking of the XRCOs, click on Asa for some photos from the awards:
- Spieglergirls were the big winners with Asa Akira, Jessie Andrews, Brooklyn Lee, and Bobbi Starr getting all of the major female performer awards.
- Cherie Deville was quite lovely as a trophy girl, but I didn’t get to meet the other trophy girl, Allie James.
- Taylor Russo kept showing me her vagina. Of course, that made me wonder about what her twin‘s vagina looked like. Too bad Flickr censors vaginas.
- The crowd was smaller than last year’s but they certainly stayed a lot longer. Even Tim Von Swine and his broken shoulder stayed for several Heinekens with me.
- I really like Vicky Vixen‘s boobs… and her vagina too. Again with the Flickr censorship thing.
Another year another AVN convention. Except this time it was at new venue, the Hard Rock Hotel, that seemed more appropriate and receptive to hosting porn stars. The physical layout was at first confusing with multiple halls around the hotel. The number of exhibitors seemed to be about the same, the number of people that attended seemed to be about the same, but the physical space shrank making this the most cramped porn convention I’ve ever been to. Thursday was especially bad when they let the fans in even though they would not open up the fan hall until Friday.
Due to the crowds I was much more selective this year in choosing who to shoot concentrating on people that I like or people that I found attractive, which are sometimes mutually exclusive. I also didn’t bother with anyone where I couldn’t get through the hordes of crowds like the girls at the Wicked booth. The most popular people this year seemed to be the celebrities, Bree Olson and Ron Jeremy, and Jynx Maze was the most popular besides those two.
I decided to shoot my first AVN Awards since 2009. I was asked to do it as a favour for another photographer and I would only agree if I didn’t have to do the red carpet. So I was given ability to roam around and pull random people that I liked to set up one or two shots instead of doing the usual pornorazzi machine gun fire. Pictures seemed to come out better that way. I was happy to see Bobbi Starr, one of my favourite people, win Female Performer of the Year and was pleased to see Brooklyn Lee win Best New Starlet since she was so nice and sweet to her fans upon meeting them for the first time at the convention.
So of course the reason I go to these events year after year is to be able to see my friends again. Whether it’s my crew at IAFD, Mark Spiegler and the Spieglergirls, or the guys of adultdvdtalk.com, I always have a great time with them especially with the social lubricant known as alcohol.
Some highlights (or lowlights depending on your perspective):
- Bonding with Ela Darling and being introduced to the concept of wizard rock.
- Arguing with my friend, Malte, that it’s classier to put Missy Rhodes on top of the toilet rather than on the toilet seat.
- Crashing this awesome penthouse suite because the bartender there thought Malte would make a good gay guy for one of her friends. #takeonefortheteam
- Meeting Mariah Mars, Tracey Sweet, and Ana Foxxx at a hot tub at the suite. I’d post photos but they’re not flickr friendly.
- Having April O’Neil guest star on my tumblr. There is something nerdy fierce in her sexuality in such a little package.
- Having Chyna threaten us in an elevator for some unperceivable slight. I kept my mouth shut since I don’t argue with people that have guns bigger than the size of my head.
I guess you want to see the pictures then:
I crossed the pond to go to the porn show in Berlin. As in the previous year, the show decreased in size in terms of space, exhibitors, and girls. Even the number of attendees seemed to be less. Since the show was hosted earlier this year, it might have been the nicer weather keeping the masses from attending a darkly lit convention hall filled with the musty smell of German perverts.
I am biased so the strongest booths this year were American and they were near each other so I didn’t have to do much walking back and forth to see something interesting. Clips4Sale featured the perennial MVP Ashley Fires who always knows how to work a crowd along with sort of newbie Missy Rhodes and special guest star, Monique Alexander. Meanwhile Girlfriends Films imported 4 American girls plus Sandra Shine & Hana Black.
I enjoyed gabbing with Shyla Jennings for a while. It’s a bummer she doesn’t do boys. Click on her photo or Ashley and Missy for a censored photoset on Flickr.
Previous Venus Berlins: